MANILA

In entering the Philippines for the first time, excitement rushed my veins as I breached the humid walls of Manila. Alongside Joshua, warrior for my freedom and travel partner during my first few days, I prepare my soul to conquer yet another new adventure....







Thursday, August 5, 2010

Don't Drink the Water


Dave Matthews once said, "Don't Drink the Water". This was also the advice I got from all I knew when planning my trip here to Manila. I went to the most amazing Thai restaurant yesterday called the People's Palace Thai. I was enjoying my spicy Green Chicken Currie (AMAZING) but known for its spice kick...I drank the water. I was out of beer, and yes, you heard me, I drank the water. A clear cold beautiful glass of water. Two hours later...I went to work. I went to train. I stood in front of a classroom for eight hours. Eight hours with the panic turning my stomache inside out. I had a stomache ache for eight hours, but I am not sure if it was from stress or actually from the water. Alls I know is that I DRANK THE WATER!

On a lighter note, I had lunch today with Cess and Karen and the Gates PDC team! I finally met the folks that I have been working with for the past two years! I am so excited. They are SO WONDERFUL! I laugh at the questions I get while I am here. First of all, they all ask, "How old are you?" and then when I tell them....they all sigh in relief...I think they all think I am older than I really am...which is why I am chopping my hair off and coloring it dark again...such as this picture:

What do you think?

The second question was, "Are you and Andy dating?!" You can travel around the world and still not get away from that question...I thought it was hilarious.

Anyway, lunch with the gates team was so much fun! I tried the dessert "Halo Halo" which means Mix Mix! It mixes refried-like beans, tapioka, coconut, jello, bananas, ice, coconut milk, milk, and sugar syrup. Sounds gross but good! (good thing I had my "Align" before!


I leave tomorrow for Puerto Princesa. I am so excited! Karina and I are going to go Island hopping and maybe even go in the underground river! It will be amazing. Pictures to come soon.


I got home this morning and entered my room with this amazing note on my desk from my sweet hotel staff. They love me here. haha. The all call me "Maam Grace" haha. I love it.


Well, I have to go to bed...Till next time!

1 comment:

  1. We love you here too! I am pretty sure you will be loved all over the world. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete