MANILA

In entering the Philippines for the first time, excitement rushed my veins as I breached the humid walls of Manila. Alongside Joshua, warrior for my freedom and travel partner during my first few days, I prepare my soul to conquer yet another new adventure....







Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tokyo and Beyond



My plane lands from Manila in Tokyo at 8:30PM. As I stand in the mix of hundreds of signs pointing in every direction...all in Japanese....I head to the information desk to ask how the heck I get to my hotel. I learn that my hotel is in Yokohama which is actually a small city OUTSIDE of Tokyo. I buy an express ticket to get there in about 30-45 minutes. Due to everything in Japanese and confusing as hell, I end up on the earlier train in which is NOT express. Three hours and a small taxi ride later I enter my fine accomodations for the next two nights. It is now well into the first night, so I head straight to bed.

Waking up a little later than planned, I work with the consierge to figure out my route for the four or five places I want to hit in Tokyo. On the way, a kind German guy, two security officers, and one foreign traveler information station help keep me on my tracks throughout the day.

Here are the spots I visited. Unfortunately I ran out of time to see the Japanese Gardens which was very dissappointing but the rest was so exciting that it was not too much of a downer.

1) Ginza Line (Subway) Asakusa Station -

Nakamise Dori -- Asakusa is one of Tokyo's oldest neighborhoods, filled with narrow lanes, traditional Japanese homes, and shops selling handmade crafts and souvenirs. At the heart of Asakusa is Nakamise Dori, a narrow pedestrian lane lined on both sides with booths selling a wide variety of Japanese souvenirs -- a good place to stock up on inexpensive gifts

Sensoji Temple -- Nakamise Dori leads straight to Tokyo's oldest and most popular temple, founded in A.D. 628 to house the Buddhist goddess of mercy and happiness. Destroyed during World War II and lovingly rebuilt with donations from the Japanese people, it attracts 20 million worshipers a year, giving it a festive atmosphere virtually every day.

Ramen - Here I enjoyed a beautifully arranged bowl of Ramen as well as Korean Kimchi (not sure what Kimchi was but it was extremely spicy and yummy!). Ramen in Asia is COMPLETELY different than what we know and so amazing!

2. Ginza Line - Ueno Station

Tokyo National Museum -- This is the most important museum to see in Tokyo, if not all of Japan. It houses the country's largest collection of historic treasures, including swords, samurai gear, lacquerware, ceramics, Buddhist sculptures, calligraphy, woodblock prints, and much, much more. Its most priceless treasures are Buddhist statues, masks, and other religious works of art from Horyuji Temple in Nara, founded in 607.

Here I also ran into a sweet old man who painted names, poems, etc in Japanese. I gave him quite a bit of extra money for the paintings:) He was kind and looked like the "wax on, wax off" guy in Karate Kid. I enjoyed him.

3. Ginza Line - Ginza Station

The Ginza -- The Ginza is Japan's most fashionable -- and expensive -- shopping address, home to international designer boutiques, art galleries, and huge department stores. My favorite department store is Matsuya on Chuo Dori, with everything from Japanese folk crafts to designer togs for sale, plus an art gallery, restaurants, and a huge food emporium in its basement.

5. Before my flight on monday, I went to Yokohama's China Town. Hosting more than 500 shops and restaurants, Yokohama houses the largest ever China Town! It was spectacular! My favorite food is Pao in which they had pao as big as a large hamburger! AMAZING!

My flight home was easy as I slept the whole way. It is nice to be in the comfort of my own bed...yet I am still a bit jet lagged.

Till my next adventure...

Hailey

No comments:

Post a Comment